In 1895, the steel plate valve invented by Hanns Hörbiger was patented. The valve plate opens or closes; it opens when the gas pressure is high enough, and closes as long as the spring pressure is higher than the gas pressure.
The Hörbiger steel plate valve enabled the advancement of blast furnace technology and paved the way for the invention of modern piezochemistry. This made it one of the key technologies for the industrial development at the beginning of the 20th century.
In 1900, Hanns Hörbiger, together with the engineer Friedrich Wilhelm Rogler, founded an engineering office in Budapest. This office was relocated to Vienna in 1903.
In the years thereafter, Hanns Hörbiger devoted himself to continually enhancing the steel plate valve he had invented. His office issued licenses for use of the technology to business partners domestically and abroad.
In 1925, the engineering office became HOERBIGER & Co. trading company, headquartered in Vienna.